FAQ International

Here you will find the questions that international students ask most often.

In order to register in Paderborn, you have to make an appointment at the Einwohnermeldeamt. The best way to do this is by filling out this form or by phone. If you have any questions or problems, it is best to take part in the Buddy Program, where you will be helped.

You will need a photo ID and the current rental contract or landlord’s certificate to register.

Further information on the landlord’s certificate can be found here.

To open a bank account, you need a photo ID and a certificate of registration.

Three frequently used banks are

To sign a cell phone contract, you need a photo ID and a registration certificate. There is also the possibility to buy a prepaid card, then you do not have to sign a contract.

Yes, they exist! The ASV offers them and EUROBIZ e. V. does too. Your buddy will be at your side during the first time in Paderborn and will support you in organizational matters. There is the possibility to stay in contact with your buddy and to exchange language with him/her.

The following portals offer good opportunities to find an apartment:

Tips for finding an apartment can be found here.

If you are confronted with racism and discrimination, you can always contact our International Affairs Officer. In addition, there is an initiative at our university called “Courage! Students against Racism and Discrimination”, which stands up against racism and educates about it. In case of more severe incidents, please do not hesitate to inform the police.

The following portals offer good opportunities to find a job:

Often there are also notices in supermarkets, ads in newspapers and the Facebook group “Studierende der Uni Paderborn“.